Summertime and the living is not so easy for your building’s air handling units. They are working hard to keep your guests and tenants cool and comfortable during the hot summer months. Continuous operation while under heavy loads can cause your unit’s condensate drip pan to fill up quickly from capturing the water and moisture falling from the cooling coils. The condensate drip pan is designed to gather that liquid and drain it out of the system through drain lines on the bottom of the pan. If the pan is not able to drain properly, dirt, mildew, and bacteria can form in the pan, causing a number of problems, such as:
- Poor Air Quality and Sick Building Syndrome: As water drips down into the condensate pan and empties outside through a drain line, it can become clogged. This could lead to mildew, mold and bacteria, causing people to catch sick building syndrome, which can result in illness, lawsuits and fines.
- HVAC Leaks: Water dripping from the ceiling isn’t quite the refreshment your patrons are used to. Clogs lead to overflows of the drip pan, which means dripping water onto people and equipment below. Considering most units are overhead, leaking and dripping are a huge hassle.
- Foul Odors and Insects: The accumulation of bacteria from improper drainage is a bugger, as it can lead to foul odors as well as attract cockroaches and other insects.
Chemsearch FE offers two products that can help prevent the cause of clogged drains and overflow damage of your air conditioning drip pan:
- Pan Mate™—this product has a detergent in it designed to keep the pan and the drain line clean so the condensate dripping down has a clear path to drain out.
- Fast Act™ II—this product has similar characteristics to Pan Mate™, but it also contains a disinfectant to kill the bacteria that can grow in the pans that can cause an air quality issue.
Want to avoid unnecessary air conditioning repair costs and keep your facility operating at peak performance? Click here to learn more!